July 1st 2014 marks the beginning of a new law that comes into effect in Ontario. Every residence is required to have an operational carbon monoxide detector. This law additionally requires the installation of a carbon monoxide detector where there is a combustible heat source inside a shed or garage.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
(CO) Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, tasteless, colourless gas, a by-product of combustion. CO is existent wherever fuel is burned; in your home’s heating system FOR example.
Carbon monoxide displaces oxygen in the body, suffocating the body’s cells. Flu like- to unconsciousness or even death are symptoms of CO Poisoning.
Protect Your Family & Friends from Carbon Monoxide
- Install CO detectors on every floor of your home that has separate sleeping areas.
*Remember the law applies to apartments, condos and cottages
- Have a qualified technician service your gas appliances annually
- Review and replace your furnace’s filter annually
- Inspect your home’s chimney and flues seasonally for debris and obstacles
- Regularly inspect your home’s vents for leaks, cracks or corrosion
- Use well ventilated gas burning space heaters
- Replace the batteries in your CO detectors annually
- CO detectors have a lifecycle of 5-7 years, replace accordingly